22 July 2012

Vision Board and To Do List

I learned quite some time ago that there are steps that we can take toward achieving our goals in life before we can even see how we are going to achieve the goal. I use two tools pretty consistently and they are the Vision Board and the Daily To-Do List. There are times when things are not going the way that I want them to and if I slow down for a minute and really look at my day, I will notice that I’m not doing what I normally do. I’m not relying on my vision board to remind me where I am going and I am also not using the my Daily To Do List. When I do follow the list and meditate on my vision board, things seem to fall into place a lot easier. It works for me – why don’t you give it a try?

If you have never used a Vision Board – there is a great book by Joyce Schwarz that outlines how the Vision Board works. It is a great resource and I have used it over and over. I love how it helps to keep me focused on the future . I also appreciate the simple instructions for creating one with a group. We can learn so much from one another and others often know us better than we know ourselves. It is a fun workshop to teach and coach people through.

Moving through life without a vision board  reminds me of what it would be like to go to Europe without any set destination in mind. You may end up in a great place but it is just as likely that your whole trip will be ruined because there was nothing definite about your plan. A vision Board helps you to focus and be sure of what you are after. That makes it possible to then achieve that very goal. Create a Vision Board that comes to life with vivid imagery and one that you can almost smell. You need this type of vision board to see what you are doing. You need to go to this place. You need to make a vision board that captures it all. Once you have that in place – the natural and next step is to get up each day and take steps to get to where you want to be. A great way to do this is by starting each day with a to-do list.

I set aside time each day to plan for the next days activities. I even take time on Sunday to map out my whole week. It not only keeps me on track but it ensures that when I do achieve my goals, i am ready for them to happen.

In 2013, I will turn 50 and as part of my celebration I am going to Europe. I want to visit Tuscany, Italy and I want to check out the beaches. There are other places that I wish to see. In getting ready for what is going to be a busy trip, I want to lose weight – in particular I want to lose 50 lbs. It is my 50 by 50 plan and I’m on my way to achieving it.

I know that in order to be successful, I have to get up each day and take steps now to make that happen. You can’t wait for the last minute and then scramble. There are so many preparations that need to be done. I map out what needs to be done and then I set goals and sub goals. I even go as far as assigning times for when I will have what completed.

The first thing on my list is to be grateful – we all have so many blessings and it can be a struggle to see them in the worry of day to day life. I start my day with gratitude exercise so it is on my T0-Do list every morning. It really does set he mood for me for the rest of the day.

I also make the list long enough and substantial enough to include all the details. I usually always have three thing on the list but have had lists that were quite a bit longer. On those days when there is nothing real pressing to get done, I do a little research on destinations and look at what other people are saying about the place. There is always something to be done. It also keeps me focused on where I am heading. There’s a reason that I’m getting ready to go there.

Vision Board and a To Do List – two great tools that will put you on the path to success. Try it today and you will be surprised at how quickly you can achieve your goals. I dare you.