15 June 2011

Beating the Blahs!!!!

We all have days that are less than perfect – they can be brought on by any number of things – health problems, money problems, work problems, relationship problems – the list is endless. Couple any of those with the Nova Scotia weather and you have the perfect recipe for the blahs. Now what are you going to do about it?

The key to surviving those temporary moments is to, first of all, realize that they are temporary states. You also have to acknowledge that you have choices in how you react to them. There are steps that you can take to get you out of a funk. There are things that you can do to ensure that you don’t parachute into despair. .

A brisk walk will usually get me refocused but when the weather is nasty, that may not be the best option. Let’s face it, bundled up in a rainsuit battling the wind and trying to keep your umbrella from turning inside out, is not fun. So when I can’t get outside to work off steam, I turn to my writing. Writing has always been my friend – from as far back as I can remember, I have used writing to escape and to create my mood.

Sometimes I just doodle – I grab some markers and a sheet of paper and I start writing words down that represent the world as I would like for it to be today. Other times I take out a piece of paper and I start writing sentences, all perfectly lined one after the other beginning with the words… “I am grateful for…..”

Before long, I’m focusing on the positives in my life and forgetting what is bugging me.

Recently, I have started writing short stories about how the day would look if it went perfectly. Before I know it, I’ve written myself into a good mood. The thing is, we all have events that put us in a bad mood but the decision to stay there is just that, a decision. Not an easy one sometimes, but a decision no less. How you choose to turn things around is unique to each of us. I write – what do you do?

No comments:

Post a Comment