25 May 2011

Diversity - Diversity - Diversity

Diversity is a growing field because diversity presents challenges in the organization. Times have changed from back in the day when I was part of my first diversity initiative. At age 17, I left my small rural community in NL for a job as a mechanic. The Army was recruiting women to diversify its force. When I look back now, I shake my head - no sensitivity training, no mentoring and no Charter of Rights and Freedoms. Not all the women fared well - the only real option was assimilation and we were not all good at pretending to be something we weren't. Our biggest challenge was staying out of the crosshairs of the institutional bullies. We were not all lucky enough to do that.

The old way is gone and workplaces are having to change - it's about time too. Self acceptance is hard enough without entering a workplace where you're not accepted because of your difference. For diversity to work, the workplace has to change. This is especially the case where workers have never been exposed to a diverse workplace. I always say that they don't know what they don't know. Often they don't know that things they do each day could hurt another person. Change is tough but abuse is tougher.

Thirty years ago, I walked in on a situation where a woman was being verbally abused by a bully and there were bystanders watching. The guy tried to explain himself by saying "We were just having fun, she can't take a joke." The language that he was using toward this women is not even something that a liberal person like me would repeat. I was not a strong woman then, I am ashamed at the way I could not protect her but I never did forget that remark. "We were just having fun - she can't take a joke."

There was no joke, he was engaged in verbal abuse of a sexual nature with lewd remarks and catcalls. and the guys that were looking on joined in laughter and taunting - I've often thought about those guys and how they did what they did to fit in just like all of us did. One apple can really spoil the whole barrell. Times have changed or at least they should. Change takes place sometimes by shining a light on a situation and opening up the situation for candid dialogue. Women that have gone through this industry and learned a lesson or two can share their story to help another.

Working in trades is not the only place where people are vulnerable. Dalhousie University has a diversity initiative to recruit underrepresented minorities. I was admitted into the program by self disclosing that I was disabled. Black and Aboriginal people are also recruited based on these personal characteristics. I love diversity initiatives. There was a support program in place inside the institution to help the Black and Aboriginal students transition but no such program for disabled people. I was also underrepresented on a number of fronts - I was a first generation university student, single mom living on a disability pension. I stood out like a sore thumb alongside my classmates whose family backgrounds were often a little more distinguished.

I remember being asked by a fellow disabled man if I had self disclosed and of course I self disclosed as a disabled woman - I doubt that I would have gotten in on my pedigree alone. He said that he did not self-disclose to get in but he had shared that his dad was a Superior Court Judge and I asked if he had disclosed this on his application. Self identifying comes in all shapes and forms. There can be many benefits of privilege - the privilege of the underrepresented or the privilege of social standing.

Underrepresented minorities need to be protected against the dominant culture - they're at risk if left to their own devices. At the very least, a mentoring program is required but further supports are required especially if you're crossing social strata. I recently spoke with a group of women who are being recruited to go into the trades. They are vulnerable on a number of fronts - they are new to the workforce and entering a non-traditional workforce is an added burden. They need skills to survive in this culture.

It takes a tremendous amount of courage to enter a diversity initiative and to disclose your vulnerabilities. The least that can happen in the workplace/school is that they be given the respect and support that they need to succeed.

No comments:

Post a Comment