8 August 2010

Creating the Life You Want

People around me who have known me a long time know that there were times when I I have been stuck. There was a time when I could not have imagined a rich life in spite of vision loss. This is not a blog about vision loss although I should do that one later on.

It's a blog about the necessity of changing the way you think. If you think you can't you probably won't -

Glass half full/glass half empty

These analogies make perfect sense when we get to the other side. I recall when my glass was half empty and it was in direct relation to the direction of my thinking. I felt sorry for myself and these were the thoughts that consumed me:

- I can't drive anymore and life is worth nothing if I can't drive
- How will I ever raise a healthy child without a vehicle
- I'm going blind and won't ever do anything again
- I'll never be able to make a living or have a career

Contrast that with my present reality

- I have a 16 year old daughter that would make many parents proud, she will get her lisence this year
- I have written 2 books, one will be self published this month and the other is at a traditional publisher
- I have a business, a five year marketing plan and all the supports I need to succeed and this will ensure that I can support myself later in life, after all I will be blind and I want to live comfortably in my old age
-I'm a mentor for others now who have trouble moving beyond obstacles in life
-I now know that my life is blessed not because of vision loss and all the affiliated losses, but in spite of

That's quite a switcheroo and people ask me "What happened?" Well my thinking changed that's all. Oh it took a lot of work and I needed help and support in different places. Sometimes when you're advocating for yourself all that you're capable of is reaching out for help. I had lots of wonderful support to lean on. I went through the stages of grief for certain - but in an ad hoc kind of way. The nice part about acceptance is that it frees up a lot of creative energy. Lately I'm learning about taking the creative process to the next level.

We build on success. Achieving does that - it helps you to believe in your ability and the only thing that you can say then is "Watch Out"

I think everyone has the ability to do the same as I have done but many people choose not to.

No comments:

Post a Comment