11 April 2010

You Can Too

In life we are sometimes presented with obstacles that manage to derail us for a time. It is often the case that people don't move beyond these life altering events. Vision loss for me was one of these tragedies that really got in the way of anything that I had planned. I was young, had a lisence, a career and was a risk taker.

I loved driving and at different points I owned a dirt bike, a truck to transport said bike and a nice Monte Carlo with a smell of new. I took scuba diving and actually jumped out of a plane. I didn't wait for the world to come to me - I sought out challenge and excitment.

All of this changed when at the age of 29 I lost my career, my lisence and my sense of who I was. I would be lying if I said that the journey from there to here was an easy one because the reality is that it was a hard one and one that I had to do on my own. I was blessed along the way with support.

The challenge for me was finding purpose and meaning in life if I could not engage in the physical way that I was accustomed to. It's been a long road and I believe that I am one of the truly blessed people. I now live a rewarding life as a disabled woman who finds intellectual stimulation a wonderful outlet. Oh, there's something to be said for sitting on the top of a mountain, nothing but the wind whipping across your face and the put-put of a two stroke below you as you stare back at the shale in your path. They're memories that I'll have forever.

Now I make new memories, encouraging others to dig deep within themselves, throw off the limiting thoughts and people, and once again become an active participant in the game of life. Yes, you too can make the transformation.

No comments:

Post a Comment